Thursday 17 April 2008

Biting the Bullet

There are a dozen reasons why it’s taken me nearly 20 years to do this, and another dozen to explain why I’m doing it now – but they’re both long stories and this is kind of a long story already.

Its working title is – has always been – Khamsin.

It’s a novel about culture shock – about a strange person, in a strange place, asking for an agenda that no-one has to give.

It’s a novel about the implacable strength of blind faith – about believing you’re right when the rest of the world knows you’re wrong.

It’s a novel about microcosm and memory – about how who you are is made up from everything you’ve been.

More than anything, it’s a novel about passion – about how it can drive you screaming round the edges of insanity… and about what happens when you lose it.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s genre fiction and while I harbour boundary-pushing ambitions, I have a long way to go. Again.

The link is here.

If you’d like the explanation, you’ll find it in the footnote.

This has been an advertising post on behalf of Danacea’s Daydreaming. Normal geek service will resume after Salute on Saturday.

Thangkya.

8 comments:

IAmKat said...

Absolutely brilliant! Not at all the kind of thing I normally read but I was hooked and intrigued from the start. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of it as you work through the re-write.

Danacea said...

Thank you - for your time, feedback and comment. You and many others on Twitter have been so responsive that it's taken me completely aback. Should have done this a long time ago!

Anonymous said...

can't wait to make time to read this in its entirety!

Danacea said...

Thanks for that - will go have a rummage round your blog in return :)

Anonymous said...

does the name comes from the arabic word "Hamsin"?

Danacea said...

This is a 'Khamsin': http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/understanding/khamsin.shtml

One literal translation? 'Hot Air' :)

Anonymous said...

well, it is much more... we're going to face some khamsins soon in Tel Aviv. Sometimes the only solution is to propose to the central air-condition and hope it'll say yes...

purplesime said...

Followed here from a HuskyPup tweet. Nice stuff. Have started to read your blogged novel. Sounding good.

I'm not really a Sci-Fi fan, but I do like a good read, regardless of genre. I hope to keep coming back to it as time permits. Best of luck with it.

It reminds me slightly of a friend of mine's blog, Amorlia, which I point you to now. For inspiration.

I only wish I had the drive to do more writing instead of finding any excuse to not do it, apart from the day job :)

Anyway, I'm rambling and you don't know me! I'll shut up now.

purplesimon out...